Oh August . . .
Axel started out the month exploring origami tutorials
on You Tube. There were many expressions of frustration
before he completed this "16 point Ninja Star."
We visited our Peterson friends in Salem, Utah.
We enjoyed visiting with them . . . seeing their new house
and their new baby, burning spaghetti and garlic bread because
we were talking so much, watching the kids run up and down the
two flights of stairs, binging on ice cream in the late night while
all the kids were asleep, taking a hike in Payson Canyon and
just playing catch up with old friends.
During our hike Axel and James were feeling a little
adventurous and veered off the trail. Perry wasn't too thrilled
about being the rescue party. But, he did his duty nonetheless.
We couldn't expect them to stay dry could we?
After our visit to the Petersons the kids and I headed to my sister's
to watch her kids for a night. Perry went to Park City for an
item writing conference. I dared to take all seven kids to the
Herriman Rec Center alone. The lifeguard only "had to" intervene
one time. Really, I had everything under control but I think
the life guard was needing some attention. :)
The kids making a birthday sign for Aunt Jo.
First day of school!
Lillie just HAD to have those shoes. She said
that they "explained her." Whatever that means.
I should've kept my pair of pink high tops from
Elementary School. It looks like the 80's are back folks!
The week leading up to the first day was one to remember.
Perry was battling pneumonia, I received word that
I would be released as the Relief Society President,
and I bleached the house like a maniac - I had a lot on my mind
and I didn't want Paul and Kaoru to catch Perry's bug!
On August 22nd Paul and his beautiful wife Kaoru
arrived in the good ole' USA. We were so excited to
meet his bride. They were such a joy to have around.
They brought all of us many fun gifts from Japan.
It seemed like Christmas in August!
Lillie absolutely adored Kaoru and cried herself to
sleep when Paul and Kaoru left for Yellowstone. We
weren't sure if it'd be good for her to have to say
good-bye again when they came back through.
Axel made more origami. Real origami paper
from Japan and instructions in English made
it a lot easier to do than his 16 point Ninja Star.
All of the Hoffman family gathered at our home on
August 25th. We had such a great time with everyone!
The girls, Shelby, Candi, Mayli, London and Lillie,
just hanging out during the family photo shoot.
Justin and his laptop were great entertainment for the
younger kids. Pearce couldn't handle all the excitement
and just doubled over and went to sleep.
A trip to the U.S.A wouldn't be complete without
a traditional Thanksgiving feast . . . Paul's wishes.
A game of baseball in the backyard after the feast - we
don't usually have that opportunity in November!
Pearce kept asking, "Who is Kaoru's boy again?" when he tried
to remember Uncle Paul's name. Pearce loved the attention
he got from his Uncle Paul. This trip was their first meeting.
Paul and Kaoru made a final stop after their trip to
Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. We were glad they did.
Instead of sticking around to see if Lillie had a meltdown
Perry and I went shopping with Paul and Kaoru.
A tired Grandma Hoffman got to deal with the tears.
Thanks Grandma!!
Kaoru and I had a great time playing charades
as we tried to communicate with each other in the mall.
Perry and Paul were probably just around the corner
watching us and having a good chuckle. We had a
wonderful time in spite of the language barrier.
Learning Japanese will be something I attempt to do.
Perhaps they have some You Tube tutorials.

No comments:
Post a Comment