Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Perry ROCKS!

When Lillie asks Perry what he wants to be when he grows up he usually responds, "A rock star." Well, this past weekend he really rocked! Since he enjoyed his alone time so much when I went to my parents he decided to give me a couple days off during his UEA break. He left with the kids Friday at 9am and didn't return until Sunday around 4pm.

What to do with 55 hours to myself...no husband, no children, no car? My list included everything OCD about me...clean out every cupboard, do a major D.I. drive, clean the house from ceiling to floor, iron everything that needs to be ironed (this usually piles up for months because I absolutely DREAD ironing...and it's usually only my clothes because Perry irons whatever he needs when he needs it....he's a gem!), mend everything that needs mending (including a Peter Pan costume for Axel for Halloween...does anyone know how much I loathe sewing?), shred and freeze the zucchini piling up on the counter, and core and peel the hundreds of apples we got from a neighbor before Perry arrives home with hundreds more from his mom. So...what did I really do?

On Friday...At 9:05 I listened to the clock ticking. That was a new sound to me. My house is never quiet enough to hear the tick-tock of our clock! I read the paper. I cleaned out a FEW cupboards (never quite got to them all). I ate lunch then decided I was tired and took a two hour nap. That was wonderful! When I awoke I felt ill (too many apricots and salad will do that to you) so I cleaned a bit more, ate dinner and was in bed by 9:30. Bummer...I was hoping to milk the break for what it was worth and stay up until midnight.

Saturday was a lot more productive and I realized that mending and ironing aren't so bad if you have a few good movies to watch (namely Anne of Green Gables and The Music Man). I didn't read the 10 books I wanted to nor did I get the floor mopped but by 12:30am I felt that my day was done and I was ready to turn in for the night.

On Sunday I was missing my noisy kids in sacrament meeting and I was missing my Perry. When they arrived home while I was practicing the piano I was so thrilled to see them...though I was loving playing the piano without sharing the bench and keyboard with another little human. The first thing Axel asked was, "Make Peter Pan costume?" Luckily, that is one thing I did accomplish.

Though I felt bad about Perry having a tough 2 1/2 hour drive to his mom's house and a couple sleepless nights while he was there I was grateful to him for letting me have some alone time. I love my kids but I really needed to miss them. And now...two days later... I'll refrain from sharing about why I need another break lest anyone think 1) my kids are really, really, really crazy (I mean who really needs another break after not having seen her kids for 2 1/2 days?) or 2) I'm a very inept mom. Anyway, good night.

4 comments:

chchoo said...

Wow! I'm glad you didn't spend your whole weekend cleaning. That would feel pretty weird, I bet, to have that much time alone. Especially toward the end. If it were me I would probably end up watching lame tv shows the entire time. Good luck this week!

Jeff said...

Perry, now all our wives are going to want us to leave for two days with the kids. Quit raising the husband bar.

Karena said...

What a treat!
It sounds a lot like when I get time to myself, I just don't accomplish everything on my list (could it be that the list is too long). Of course, these days (morning sickness or all day sickness) I am not getting much of anything done. I am glad that you got a break and that you didn't clean the whole time either. Have a great day.

Emily said...

Hooray for wonderful husbands! Happy are we, Happy are we! :)

I know the feeling of having a break and needing another'n soon! I like to think it is totally normal! :)

That was a fun post Ging! I am glad you guys are doing good! Can't wait to see pictures of Peter Pan and ....

Have a wonderful day!