Sunday, May 27, 2012

A wrap on 2011 . . . 5 months later

You know it's been awhile when I can't even remember my gmail username and password.  Sigh.  As I read through past blog posts I was reminded of how I do enjoy keeping some sort of accounting (as minimal as it is) of our life.  And then I am saddened that I have let so much time slip by without something to look back on. Ah, life.  It's funny how easily I forget things - the good, the bad, and even the ugly when I don't take time to write them down.  This memory loss could be viewed as a blessing or a curse.  However, I feel the need to be more consistent in accounting for my time on earth - be it on this blog or in my journal.  So, here's a brief look at how our 2011 ended.  



We spent Thanksgiving in Nevada with my family. Since my parent's house was bursting at the seams they decided to get a few rooms at the local motel to accommodate everyone.  So, we all scored and got the pool to ourselves.  We met my brother Nick's fiancé, Erika, who was a delight. Unfortunately, I lost my voice and couldn't talk.  It was probably the best Thanksgiving for everyone else since they didn't have to listen to me!  On our way home we stopped to see the lights at temple square.  It's been a few years since we've been, so that was great fun. It was just a titch colder than Nevada.


December was full of some wonderful Christmas festivities.  They included:


 Decorating Gingerbread houses with Grandma Hoffman


Decorating our home for the holidays.  
We had great fun removing all the un-lit 
"pre-lit" lights from our tree with wire cutters.  
And I loved seeing what would end up on our tree 
each day.  Pearce's two-year-old touch to the tree on 
this particular day was the toy hammer. 


I put lights on the outside of our house by myself while Perry
was at work. I had Axel holding the ladder and told him exactly
what to do if I fell off . . . call 911, tell them your mom fell off
a ladder, and then give them our address.  We practiced our
address over and over.  How's that for pressure ?!



We hosted the Brown family Christmas party this year.
What great fun we had with our house full for a sleepover.
 
The kids loved opening presents from Grandma and Grandpa
Brown early.  Axel especially loved getting an upgraded Radio
Control 4x4 truck the next day. His first one didn't last 24 hours
with older cousins launching it down the stairs.


 

Lillie and Axel helped make goodies.



Pearce helped eat the goodies.



So did the neighbors.



The Relief Society was in charge of the food for the ward
Christmas Party. I couldn't stand the thought of someone else
washing the utensils so I brought them home with me that
night.  It was nice to have hours to meditate the next day
while I washed, and washed, and washed, and washed.
(I feel a pioneer song coming on)
Don't ask me why we didn't use plastic.



Grandma Hoffman made the kids some winter hats.
They sure loved them. 



Axel was ADORABLE (and so serious!) during
his kindergarten Christmas program.  They learned
sign language for Silent Night which was so
heartwarming to watch.  That ended up being
his favorite song of the season. He requested that we
sing it nearly every night for bedtime - while he lay
in his bed doing the actions.  So cute.


 I had the opportunity to head
up the "Giving Tree" again and got to witness
the miracles take place.  People went above
and beyond to fill my extra closet space with gifts
for others AND they gave monetary donations.
Night after night I had people show up on my doorstep,
hand me $100 and say, "Use this to help someone
in need."  I tried to be as gracious as I could about
receiving so much money for others.  But, in the back of
my mind I knew that meant more work for me.
Sometimes I didn't have the best attitude -
especially when Christmas was only a week away.
But, I was humbled by the needs that we were
able to meet because of the generosity of others.
Having a front row seat to witnessing such kindness
has been a blessing in my calling.


We spent Christmas Eve having dinner with Grandma Hoffman
and wearing the kids out.  By 8:45 Pearce gave up.
Christmas day was splendid.  Relaxed.  Wonderful.  
That night Lillie cried. She said she was going to miss all
the happy feelings and things we did throughout December.
We tried to tell her that Christmas can be in her heart all the 
year through - but I understood where she was coming from.  
I was longing for the spirit of the season to linger a little longer myself.

The week between Christmas and New Year's was so calm
and peaceful.  I remember feeling that it was a gift
to finish the year with peace and calm in my heart.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Yay for the update! You have been busy, and your kids are huge! I have fallen behind as well in blogland. I'm still trying to catch up!