Monday, January 20, 2014

December 2013

December came and went too fast! 
With it we enjoyed all the sights and sounds of the season.  
We had our month filled with making holiday goodies,
attending school and church parties, making gifts, hosting
the Brown family Christmas party, shoveling snow, and other
activities that will remain a Hoffman family secret.
Oh how our little elves loved being little elves this year!
 And, as I look back on the pictures I can't help but think of how
glad I am that I painted my kitchen blue.  It's such a trivial thing
but has created such a brighter atmosphere in our home.

Making holiday goodies

Our first attempt at "painting" cookies.  Beats frosting them any day!

The annual gingerbread house decorating at 
Grandma Hoffman's.  I think the spikes on the top 
were to keep the birds from sitting on the
house and pooping all over his new roof. 
(something we considered when we had our roof done)



Pearce took an extra day to add some finishing touches.

Lillie had her first orchestra concert in the Kent Concert Hall.
What a fun thing it is that she is learning to play the violin!

We ventured to Downtown Logan to check
out the gingerbread houses on display.

We were amazed by some of the houses we saw. 
This detailed one was definitely a favorite.

Pearce had fun riding all the bulls on Main Street.

More holiday goodie making . . . with the Easter bunny?

Most of the crew for our Brown Family Christmas party. 

Grandpa Brown brought a race track so the 
kids could enjoy some friendly competition.

Pearce is OBSESSED with Superman so he was thrilled 
to get a stuffed Superman and blanket from Grandma
and Grandpa Brown.

It didn't take Axel long to get the hang of
jumping on the pogo stick he got from my parents.
Hooray for dry sidewalks for him to practice on!
And, yes, he's wearing short sleeves in December!

A highlight of the month was watching this Christmas Cactus
bloom.  I guess they only bloom at Christmas and Easter.
We were all so enthralled with watching if unfold each day.

All dressed up for our ward Christmas party.

Our kids have always been a little leery around Santa.
Notice how Pearce is holding on to Axel for dear life.
Perhaps if they knew it was our neighbor dressed up they
wouldn't have been so afraid.

Our Chestnut snowman melted so the kids and Perry 
built a new one complete with the snow man kit
we painted last year.  Axel is so proud of the teeth
he painted on the bright red mouth.

Christmas Eve in the PJs from Grandma Hoffman.

Christmas morning.  All Pearce wanted in his stocking
was a Santa hat and candy.  Looks like his wishes came true.

Lillie with the hope chest Grandpa Hoffman made her.

The kids playing Just Dance on the Wii.  Yeah, we gave
in and bought a Wii for Christmas.  We thought it'd be
good to help keep the kids moving in the winter.  So far, 
they have danced for hours on end . . . because we're 
good parents like that and let them play for hours on end!

Axel playing with the cars and truck Grandpa Hoffman
made him and Pearce for Christmas.

And last, but not least, I actually finished the desk
before Christmas morning.  Axel was worried that
I had forgotten all about it because he hadn't seen
it in the garage or in our dungeon.  Oh Ho, Ho . . . 
who is so sneaky??  I am pleased with the way
it turned out.  Luckily, so is he.

Though December wasn't without it's threatenings
of taking all presents back if they didn't 
stop tormenting each other . . . we sure 
had a great month and great memories to look back on.
How I love the Christmas season and the way our 
thoughts are turned to others and we feel a little kinder
and a little more loving and forgiving.
(At least I hope my children are forgiving toward me!)

Which reminds me of a funny little chat Axel and I had at
bedtime one night in December.  He told me that he loved
me more than anyone in the entire world.  I asked him if
he loved me even though I make a lot of mistakes.  
He answered in the affirmative. Whew!
Then I told him that I love him even though he makes
a lot of mistakes too.  He said, "Thanks mom."  Then he paused
and said, "Dad doesn't make very many mistakes does he?"
I laughed right out loud.
It's good to have a nice hearty laugh every now and then.
Here's to lots of laughter in the new year!

No comments: