skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Crying over spilled milk...
Those of you who knew me before I had children know that I was completely obsessive/compulsive about things being organized and clean. Now that I have children I'm only a titch OCD. To prove it...the last time my kitchen floor was mopped thoroughly was in mid-May when our friends Emily and Jeff Peterson were staying with us for a couple weeks. Emily, being 8 months pregnant, decided to be helpful and mopped the floor on her hands and knees. That was the last time it had a really good scrub...until today. After dinner I noticed the floor needed more than just spot cleaning so I got out the mop. It looked worse after the mop job so I got down on my hands and knees for a deep cleaning. Wow, twice in one day! But wait...Just before bedtime I had Axel's sippy cup of warm
milk (yes, he still gets warm milk before bed!) ready to put the lid on when the phone rang. Why do we let phones ringing dictate our lives anyway? After I hung up the phone I saw Axel reaching for his cup-o'-comfort. I yelled, "NO, STOP, NO...the lid's not on!" Did he listen? Of course not. He's two. So he had a nice, warm, milk bath before bed. Now I realize why I don't mop the floor as much anymore...it's just an invitation for a mess. Where did the phrase "don't cry over spilled milk come from anyway?" I think it's dumb. Milk is so sticky and such a pain to clean up...One might as well say, "Don't cry over..."umm I better stop before I reveal how irrational my thinking is when I've had little sleep, sick kids, and a husband gone for 2 1/2 days. I considered leaving the mess for Perry to clean up but then I decided that mopping the floor three times in one day wouldn't kill me. Plus, I couldn't stand to just let the milk sit... It was calling to me...perhaps I'm more OCD than I'd like to admit. Good-night.
8 comments:
At one time I wanted to call our band "Spilled Milk." I thought it would be funny if we then found a way to make people cry.
I remember those "I'm going to scream now" days....
good thing he is so darn cute.
That will probably be one of your favorite pictures....well maybe not!
xxoo
Were the dogs casualties as well? because they look equally, if not more, traumatized as Axel. My mom turned mopping the floor into the greatest childhood game ever. All you have to do is tell Lillie that your going to play Cinderella and cut her loose : ) It's all in how you present it.
Poor sticky Axel. That is a cute picture, though. I'm sorry you had to mop the floor three times in one day. That should be illegal!
I'm sorry Ging. But I hear ya loud and clear. And those stupid sayings...how 'bout...
'with a great assault'...That one has always stumped me too! :)
I love your pictures. I love that you haven't mopped your floor since mid-may (especially since your childhood bedroom used to be dust free in every crook and granny)!
I love that your kids aren't perfect...just like mine! I love that you keep it real! I think you are an amazing gal and I am glad to know ya!!
Keep up the good work!!
Em
Once upon a time I used to be a perfectionist too. Now, just about anything goes. I do agree that mopping is definitely an invitation to disaster. Moments like these remind us the world is not going to come crashing down if our children are not perfect (as sometimes we expect them to be). AND they make great photo ops. and blog posts!!!
Hmm, I need to mop my floor badly - should I or shouldn't I...
I'm the one crying over spilled milk at my house. The kids just look at me and laugh "Mom's crying - let's do it again!" Just kidding.
I totally get the no mopping thing. Now I just spot clean with a wet rag. It's so much easier.
Post a Comment