Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our piece on Earth...

Perry has spent many long hours this summer making our little piece on earth more peaceful. We'll see what happens to it now that school's in session. Perhaps I'll pull more of the "weeds" that were really flowers Perry had just planted. Or I'll leave the water running for hours on end to grow huge mushrooms (non-edible ones unfortunately) under our pine trees. Or I'll let the kids run through the flower beds because I'm tired of telling them to stop doing what they're doing for the umpteenth time. Only time will tell...but for now, we'll bask in the beauty of Perry's labor.












I will take credit for the pathway through our Quaky grove...I did all the work and won't give Perry an ounce of credit for it! However, Perry gets full credit for the green grass that we can walk barefoot in. When we moved in there were more dandelions than grass, pieces of glass, cut up pop cans, nuts and bolts, large mechanic looking parts, and other miscellaneous treasures.











And the garden...that's mostly Perry's doing. I pulled a few weeds here and there (and a few plants too) and watered every now and then. But, Perry was the gardener. I could never get Axel to eat fresh spinach until we grew some in our garden. Then he'd pick it by the handfuls and eat away. But, do you think he'd eat the same stuff if I washed it and put it on his plate for a meal? Of course not!














We were simply amazed by what a little seed could produce and were thrilled to get a few ears of corn off of our corn plants. Lillie loves fresh corn...














And carrots too! She couldn't wait to share them with Axel when he awoke from his nap. I think he was pleased with her offering.














And, the work continues...now it's time to plant bulbs for spring while Axel helps out by gathering worms and chasing grasshoppers. Perry may be taking a break from the yard to teach rowdy fifth graders but there will always be more work to do at the end of the day. Oh the joys of owning our own home!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Your grass is sooo green, your carrots are HUGE and everything looks so pretty!

Connie said...

Wow your carrots are awesome! I'm so ashamed of my puny carrots last season.

Anonymous said...

Your house looks like it could be the cover picture on a story book. Your flowers are beautiful!

Looks like the kids are having a great time in the garden and eating out of the garden.

Don't know about you but I'm ready for cooler weather which will mean no more mowing!! (then I can complain about shoveling snow)
love you

Emily said...

I agree with grandma h....front page material for sure! I am in love!!!
You guys have made that place a Heaven on earth! I wish I could see it in person, as I am sure just a breath of it would put me in dreamland for weeks! So incredibly amazing! Keep up the good work!!

Melissa said...

Not just a beautiful yard...but your babies are too cute and so big! I can't believe it has been that long since we have seen you guys! Love the pictures.

chchoo said...

Beautiful! Your carrots are giant! Happy eating.

Anonymous said...

Your garden looks a tad bit better than mine. By tad I mean your garden looks like it actually has some edible food in it. Let me know if you want some of my green tomatoes!

The kids are getting big!

Paige Moore said...

Oh Ginger your yard is gorgeous! Nice work, Perry!