Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thankful Thursdays


I have a friend who has started a "Gratitude Groove" and posts something she is grateful for every day. Miss Emily Pearl has inspired me to find more things that I am thankful for. Since a daily update would probably cause me to hyperventilate I've decided I'd try to do a weekly update on things for which I am thankful. For this week, I am thankful for the simple things that keep my kids occupied so that I have a few moments to myself each day. One simple joy includes the oh so many things a child can do with a cardboard box. We've had this beaut around since the summer and it has finally found a permanent residence in our playroom. Not only do the kids enjoy hiding in it they love pretending they are fighting "bad guys" and kick all the walls inside to make it look like quite the brawl to an onlooker from the outside. Violent, I know. (They get it from Perry, ha ha) They are also quite content to use cardboard skateboards to go around the kitchen. Who needs the real thing when you have a piece of cardboard? I guess I'm still satisfied with being an imposter. (Perhaps someday I'll post about my homemade Care Bear and Carmex).




I am also thankful for washable paint. I don't know why I dare to leave them to paint without supervision. But, I do. So far their greatest unsupervised masterpieces have been on their bodies (thankfully not on the walls) so I can't complain.












I am thankful for a little boy who is content to "swim" in the bathtub in November and doesn't insist that I fill up the pool outside. I seriously considered filling up the pool in the laundry room when he said he wanted to swim. Whew...good thing I didn't think out loud!

Today I am thankful for books on tape. We checked out our first one from the library and it was a hit with Lillie. Plus I didn't feel as guilty for letting her "read along" to a book as when I let her watch endless "educational" (yeah right) television.

And finally, I am thankful for the fact that my kids love to color. They can sit for hours. . . honestly. . . and color. It has given me hope that Axel can focus if he really wants to and that perhaps he isn't a child with ADHD.
These past two weeks the kids were having an obsession coloring these bunny pictures. We went through so much toner on our printer so Perry decided to make them about 30 copies at school. That was a week ago and all the bunny pics have since been colored. Crazy kids!
On the picture on the left Lillie wrote (starting from the upper left corner and going around the perimeter clockwise. . . so you don't think she's dyslexic): "From Lillie for mom and dad and Axel from Bunny Hill. You make me smile." It's fun to see her learning how to write. The picture on the right is just a sampling of 20 of the pictures they colored. My environmentalist friends are probably cringing that we just wasted a tree. Don't worry....we do our part to recyle. And I am soooooo thankful that we have curbside recycling!

9 comments:

Karena said...

The thankful thing is a great idea.
It seems that you have alot to be thankful for, the list was great. You are definetly a more daring mom than me, I haven't let the kids paint (unless we are at playgroup). I am sure that you are a great mom. Have an awesome day!!

Michelle said...

I have a picture of Candy rubbing paint all over her tummy - so no worries! All will be well!

Emily said...

You are such a cool mom! I love the cardboard skateboard idea....I am totally gonna have to try those myself. I wouldn't dare let the boy try it though, he'd probably bust his lip open, or something?!

I love the picture of Axel in the tub.

And I totally agree with education television (yeah right) ! :) :)

That girl is going to be a genius, like her mother!!!

You're the best!!

Love ya, Em

Loralee and the gang... said...

I think that 'Thankful Thursdays' is a great idea, too. I might try that on my blog. Look for it in the upcoming weeks...
:)

Anonymous said...

I am so greatful the my darling grandkids have such a talented and inovative mother! Desperation is definitely the mother of invention. No, I am not going to make a cardboard skateboard, that doesn't even sound like fun especially when I hit the floor. Now, if food was involved...

chchoo said...

Would you fill up a swimming pool for me? Great pics of the kidlets. Axel is looking so big. I'm glad you're getting a few moments to yourself. God bless the guy who invented crayons and markers and watercolor paints and printers and... Should I keep going? I will try to call you tomorrow so I can ask you a favor. Now you'll be waiting in anticipation. Or hiding from me.

Anonymous said...

Those two have the greatest imaginations. Kudo's to mom and dad for (sometimes) closing your eyes and letting them have such a good time. Axel colors much better than any of the little ones I have in the nursery. I love Lillie's little "round about" story.
Love all of you!

Emily said...

I'm following your lead, Ginger Gail. We'll start with a big box.

Anonymous said...

Me and Perry used to decorate cardboard boxes and pretend they were cars. Perry would push me around in them on the carpet... which was so much fun for me- probably not him so much. My friend recently made a HUGE castle in her basement out of cardboard boxes- with a draw bridge & everything. It took up her whole family room downstairs- it was amazing. Gotta love cardboard and duct tape. :)