When I got home and cleaned it out I couldn't decide if it was REALLY clean. I mean, how do you clean out that tube anyway? I tried siphoning soapy water through but that didn't work too well. I did my best and walked away knowing that if there were any microorganisms still growing that they'd make my body stronger. Later in the week I was cleaning out a ziploc bag. I know, I know...it sounds so "depression-era-ish." But, it was mostly clean so I thought it'd be okay to reuse (unlike the ones my mom had beef stew/split peat/chicken froth in that she reused). As I filled it with water and looked at it my mind started racing. Now why couldn't that be my water supply?
It's cheaper.It's easier to clean.
And I'm sure I could figure out some way
to insert a straw and get the hydration I needed.
Yes, I am the great impostor.
It all started long ago.
Back when I looked something like this...
It all started long ago.
Back when I looked something like this...
I didn't look EXACTLY like this because this picture was a couple years later. But, you get the gist. I was adorable. Back to the flashback...everyday at lunch one of my friends would ask "Does anybody have any Carmex?" Without fail, three bottles of the stuff would pop up for her chapped lip relief. I was the fourth who never had an offering. I decided that would change. I went home and got a baby food jar (they were a lot bigger in those days) and filled it with Vaseline (it was probably generic petroleum jelly that I used). The next day when the question was asked I pulled out my "Carmex." They all looked at me and questioned "What IS THAT!?" What snobs. It was Carmex of course! I probably put some on to prove that it would relieve chapped lips just as well as Carmex. Come on, they practically look the same!

I finished cleaning my ziploc bag and thought I better keep my "REAL" water pack. There may be some snobs on the hike that won't appreciate my ingenuity. Speaking of the hike...I was thinking this would be my motivation to finally LOSE WEIGHT. I'll admit, losing weight is a lot harder than it sounds. Eat less, exercise more. Easy enough. Not easy if you're a stress eater and you get a front row seat into witnessing 175 women's stress! No excuses. I know I'm the one in charge of my life. Anyway, this weight thing caused another flashback while I was out hiking. As I was struggling up a hill with my pack I thought it'd be so much easier if I weighed like 60 pounds less. And then I thought you know, it doesn't matter how much I weigh. I have the DETERMINATION to do it. And my determination will get me through.
You see, when I was in 6th grade I played on a Junior High basketball team. After the practice we would run "ladders" - touching the free throw line, running back to the outer court line, touching the half court line, running back...you get the point. Well, I was pretty fast even though I had a little extra weight (see above picture of me in my youth). I usually finished before most of the team. During one sprinting session my coach stopped everyone and started crying. Then he said with a choked up voice, "I was not a skinny child. But I didn't have the determination of Ginger Brown. If you don't beat her to the finish then you'll have another ladder to do...and Ginger don't you slow down!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that time. So, I'm laughing now.Yes, I have determination.
It is this determination that
will bring me safely home.
And I think if I remember my Carmex
everything will be alright.
Good night.
It is this determination that
will bring me safely home.
And I think if I remember my Carmex
everything will be alright.
Good night.
3 comments:
I LOVED this post! How I miss you and our crazy days at Summit. I remember the time I was having a "horrible" day (can't even remember why now so it HAD to be horrible!) and you filled my car to the brim with balloons and made a card with that picture on it. The card when something like this "Life is hard...open card...But it could be worse". And there was your lovely picture. I think I still have that card, it meant so much to me. :) You will have a great time in Havasupai and you will ROCK it!
You make ME laugh! I love your posts!! You are such an angel of a girl. This world is a much better place because you are in it!
Good Luck on your hiking...you'll do wonderful!
Love you girly!
I can really relate about the stress eating. But I may have turned a corner about the eating healthy. This week while on the road with my hubby, I read a book that explained what sugar and unhealthy fats do to the body! I mean, I already knew, but having it presented yet ANOTHER way really opened my eyes, and I am sure I can stay on a healthy eating plan for at least, say a week or two. Then I think I will have to read that book again!
Post a Comment