

About 8 miles and a few hours later we arrivedin the remote Supai village. The only way in or out
is by foot, on horseback, or by helicopter.
We brought extra cash just in case we needed
a helicopter ride out!
Two miles from the village we caught ourfirst glimpse of Havasu Falls. It made the
10 miles of hiking well worth it!
These pictures do not do the blue-green water justice.
When we saw this 100 foot waterfall in person
we were even more astonished that my brother Sterling
jumped from the top of the waterfall three years before.
Perry's one instruction to me before I left was
"No Cliff Jumping!"

After we played in the water for a bit it startedto rain. We ran back to camp to make sure
all of the rain flies for our tents were in place.
The tents that we really didn't want to pack in
came in very handy. We had dinner under
a tarp and then explored some more.
Saturday morning we went to exploreMooney Falls. The only explanation we could get
from others who had been before was that it
was "precarious." Hmmm....

More like treacherous!Holding on to chains and
climbing down rocks is not
my idea of fun! Adrenaline rush,
but not "fun."


We hiked in and out of the river below Mooney Falls for a couple hours.
When we heard the thunder roll weknew we needed to hurry out
before the rocks became too wet to climb.
It was a hard climb out but...
WE CONQUERED!
Mom stayed back at camp and was
able to pack up our tent so we weren't
hiking the 10 miles out with
soaking packs. Since it was raining
we started our hike out around 2:30pm
instead of 6pm. The cloud cover made
afternoon hiking conditions perfect!
able to pack up our tent so we weren't
hiking the 10 miles out with
soaking packs. Since it was raining
we started our hike out around 2:30pm
instead of 6pm. The cloud cover made
afternoon hiking conditions perfect!
We hiked all afternoon and into the evening.Our goal was to make it to the top before
we needed to use our headlamps.
Going down was a lot easier than up.The last two miles took well over two hours.
I hung back with my mom while
Jo went ahead. I mentioned to my mom
that "if they were nice they'd get to the top
and come back for your pack." She laughed.
Who would want to do the switchbacks again?
Apparently Jo wanted to. She cameback to carry my mom's pack the last
quarter mile. And others went to
rescue those still struggling at the bottom
after sundown. We had our own
little pioneer moment. I smiled.
WE DID IT!
It was so much fun to get away and spend timewith these crazy gals from my childhood.
I feel so blessed that in spite of packing around
some extra weight I had health and strength
enough to enjoy a little bit of paradise.
Many thanks to my friend Julie for organizing the
trip and for the great time! I had a blast!







5 comments:
Wow! Those are amazing pictures! Makes me want to do the hike (after I have this baby and lose weight and get into shape again)! I'm sure it was an experience you will never forget!
So, so wonderful for you and such a magnificent experience with fabulous company. Lots of great memories.
That looks like you had a lot of fun! and the view was probably amazing. Makes me want to go do it as well. I am going to forward this blog to a friend of mine that we climbed Table Rock with..
Way to go, lady!!! I thought about you (and sent a couple of prayers + good vibes your way) all weekend when I knew you'd be on your adventure. The pics are amazing. I'm glad everybody made it safe and sound!
WOW WOW WOW!! Ging, it looks like you had an amazing time! How fun that your mom got to go, too! I love the pictures...so beautiful!
You are an inspiration to all who know you!
Have a wonderful day!
Post a Comment